The refreshed Development Pathways Tool 2023 is live!
It can help you as a policy practitioner to develop your policy skills. If you're a policy manager, it can help you with development planning for your team.
The Development Pathways Tool identifies the actions that a policy practitioner can take to develop their skills at three different levels of practice – developing, practising and leading. These actions are organised under three ways of learning – on the job experience, learning from others, and through formal training.
We encourage you to look at the Development Pathways Tool, and find out how it can help you, your team, and your agency to build policy skills.
Have a look at our videos to see what people say about how they think the Development Pathways Tool will help them.
See each segment individually:
How to use the Tool
- Identify and discuss with your manager the skills you want to focus on for further development. You can use the Policy Skills Framework to map your skills, and decide which ones you want to focus on.
- Open the Development Pathways Tool and select the first skill you wish to develop further, and the development level you want to achieve.
- Download the information that the Tool generates on how to develop your skills.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other skills you want to develop.
- Review the information on how to develop your skills and discuss with your manager the actions you want to take.
- Incorporate the actions you have agreed with your manager into your professional development plan.