Start Right Exploration lets you identify and confirm the most important dimensions of a policy project at the start, to assist with scoping, focus, direction and project efficiency.
It is also known as policy analysis, policy scoping or policy commissioning.
On this page:
- Start Right Exploration is a lightweight guide that can be customised to different policy circumstances and project types.
- Exploration covers the dimensions that are known to improve quality and efficiency in policy projects.
- Exploration is designed for use within the Start Right approach, but can be used on its own with minor modifications.
- The Start Right Exploration stage has been co-designed by experienced policy practitioners from across the New Zealand public service.
- Exploration is the initial analysis performed after a Commissioning Conversation to consider all the main dimensions of a policy project before starting.
- Exploration covers both analysis and project management. It can ensure that the policy project is managed efficiently and meets its agreed outcomes and objectives.
- Exploration should be customised in depth and scope to fit each policy project.
In the Start Right approach, Exploration generates the project information and parameters that are required for a Green Light to proceed.
- You are in the early stages of a policy project and want to improve policy quality and reduce rework.
- You are developing a culture of policy quality, including coaching and mentoring functions, or as part of developing policy commissioning approaches.
For very large or complex policy processes, a more formal and bespoke approach may be required.
Start Right Guide - The Start Right guidance covers the Exploration stage in detail, including links to further additional resources.