The Tier 2 Policy Leaders’ Network constitutes deputy chief executives with policy responsibilities from every Public Service agency. The Network’s monthly meetings are chaired by Brook Barrington, Head of the Policy Profession.
The scope of the matters included in Network meeting agendas include:
- regular updates on matters of common interest
- sharing information at key points in the governmental and electoral cycle
- providing feedback on Policy Project initiatives and funding, and championing agency-based and system-wide policy improvement initiatives.
- Policy Analyst Forum
In October 2014, 64 early career analysts from across the Public Service shared their ideas for improving policy capability, quality and performance. At the end of the session, the analysts were joined by members of the Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Network.
- David Albury – building innovative practice into policy development
Dr David Albury, Director of the United Kingdom's Innovation Unit Board, led a discussion with the Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Network in September 2013 about how to encourage greater user-centricity and innovation in the New Zealand policy system.
- Policy Managers Forum
In April 2015, 39 policy managers from 20 agencies were invited to test some key deliverables for the Policy Project, including a common policy quality framework. The Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Network joined for an open discussion at the end.
- Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Network: Creating a Policy Heat Map
The Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Network in were joined by the Head of the Policy Profession in July 2015 to identify longer term strategic policy questions.
- Policy Stewardship – Tier 2 Policy Leaders' Workshop
Tier 2 Policy leaders and strategic advisors came together in April 2017 to discuss what success in policy stewardship would look like.